Indy Power: The berry thing... Vanilla Strawberry Cake
This easy strawberry cake is the ultimate tea time treat.
Vanilla Strawberry Cake
I may have stolen this recipe from my mother-in-law but once you've tasted it you'll see why I couldn't resist. It's fluffy and sweet and heavenly just as it is with a little drizzle of oat cream, no icing necessary. It's the perfect cake for afternoon tea.
Please log in or register with Independent.ie for free access to this article.
Gluten-free & vegan
250ml oat milk
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
300g gluten-free flour
120g ground almonds
200g coconut sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 vanilla pod
150g coconut oil, room temperature solid
To serve: oat cream
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC. Grease a spring form cake tin well with coconut oil and set it aside.
2. Mix together the oat milk and apple cider vinegar in a bowl and set aside.
3. Mix together the gluten-free flour, ground almonds, coconut sugar and baking soda in a large bowl. Slice open the vanilla pod lengthways and scrape all of the seeds in.
4. Add the coconut oil to the bowl and use an electric mixer to beat it all together. Then add the oat milk mixture and continue mixing until smooth.
5. Scrape half of the batter into your cake tin. Slice the strawberries in half and arrange them on top, then cover them with the other half of the batter.
6. Bake for about 50-55 minutes until a cake tester comes out clean and the edges are starting to come away from the tin.
7. Let it cool on a wire rack completely, then carefully remove from the tin.
8. Serve at room temperature with a drizzle of oat cream.
I serve this cake drizzled with oat cream which I've mentioned before as a game-changer for vegans or anyone who doesn't eat dairy. The Oatly version can be found in health stores and lots of supermarkets. Now they've upped their game even more with their crème fraîche. It tastes so like the real deal that no one would ever know. It's amazing with curries, stews and anything of the Mexican persuasion, but it's also dreamy with crumbles and desserts like this one.