Indy Power: Cereal mash-up
Top of the toppings
Banana, cinnamon and raisin oats are a breakfast winner.
Banana Raisin Baked Oats
This is a heavenly breakfast for a crowd with minimal effort - ideal for weekends with family. There are loads of ways to customise it but this cinnamon raisin combo is perfect this time of year.
Gluten-free & vegan
For the oats:
200g gluten-free oats
1 tsp cinnamon
400ml nut milk
For the fried banana: 2-3 bananas
1 tsp coconut oil
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. In a large bowl, mash the bananas well with a fork.
3. Add the oats and cinnamon and mix well. Then pour in the nut milk and raisins and mix again.
4. Pour the mixture out into an oven dish and spread it out evenly.
5. Bake at 180°C for about 30 minutes until lightly golden and set.
6. During the last 5 minutes of baking time, slice the bananas in half and fry them in a pan with a little coconut oil until golden and crisp.
7. Serve the warm oats with the fried banana on top and a dash of nut milk if desired.
I've gotten really into making my own nut milk again lately. I hadn't made my own in months until a late-night realisation that I had none left for my smoothie the next morning got me back in the swing of things. If you haven't made it before, it's so easy and you can use all different kinds of nuts so it's a great way to use up open bags of odd nuts in the cupboard. I make mine by soaking 300g of nuts overnight. Drain and rinse them the next morning and add them to your blender with a litre of water. Blend on high until smooth and then just strain it through a nut milk bag or cheese cloth. It will keep in a bottle in the fridge for up to three days, just shake it before using.