Recipe of the week -- Colcannon
I LOVE the warming earthiness of colcannon -- it's my favourite way to eat cabbage. You can also use kale for this recipe. Serves 4
* 500g of cabbage -- stalks removed and then shredded
* 500g potatoes, scrubbed
* 2 sticks butter
* 150ml hot milk
* 4 spring onions, finely chopped
* Steam the potatoes in their skins for a half hour, then peel and mash them.
* Add a lump of butter.
* Season well.
* Meanwhile, steam the cabbage or kale in a small amount of boiling water until tender. Don't overcook.
* Put the milk in a pan and throw in the spring onions, simmering for about five minutes.
* Add this and the cabbage/kale to the spuds and beat well.
* Serve with a knob of butter on top and sprinkle with some parsley.
* Some chopped ham or crispy bacon added in before serving also works a treat.