* 2.3kg (5lb) pears
* 1 tablespoon whole cloves
* 1 tablespoon allspice berries
* 7.5cm (3-inch) cinnamon stick
* 5cm (2-inch) root ginger
* Rind of half a lemon
* 900g (2lb) of sugar
* 570ml (1 pint) white wine vinegar
* Peel, quarter and core the pears.
* Tie the cloves, allspice, cinnamon, ginger and lemon rind in a muslin bag.
* Put the sugar and vinegar into a large stainless steel or enamelled pan and heat until the sugar has dissolved.
* Bring the syrup to the boil. Add the pears and bag of spices. Simmer for about 5 minutes or until the pears are just soft.
* Remove the pears using a slotted spoon and pack them into clean, hot, sterilised jars.
* Boil the syrup until it has reduced by about one-third.
* Discard the bag of spices and pour the syrup over the pears, allowing the syrup to penetrate through.
* If necessary, add more syrup until the jars are full.
* Cover and seal.
* Label with contents and date once the jars are fully cool.