Irish pizza restaurant ranked seventh best in Europe
Readers of a global travel website have ranked a Dublin restaurant's pizza as the seventh best in Europe.
Pi Pizza on Dublin's George's street was voted number seven by readers of Big 7 Travel.
Describing themselves as "wood-fired pizza fundamentalists", Pi produces its pizzas in a quick turnaround at 500 degrees. The chef behind Pi is Ballymaloe graduate Reg White, so it's no surprise that the ethos at Pi is one of 'slow fast food'. The dough is made fresh on site each day using fine Caputo Blue '00' flour from Naples - reputedly the world's best. The process takes 72 hours and uses minimal yeast; the result, the menu claims, is a tasty and digestible dough.
L’Antica Pizzeria da Michele in Naples, Italy emerged as the winner, while foodie haven Copenhagen grabbed the second spot for its restaurant Bæst.
Here are the top ten:
1. L’Antica Pizzeria da Michele – Naples, Italy
2. Bæst – København, Denmark
3. Rudy’s Pizza – Manchester, England
4. Animaletto Pizza Bar – Bucharest, Romania
5. Gustapizza – Florence, Italy
6. Louie Louie – Paris, France
7. PI Pizzas – Dublin, Ireland
8. Gazzo – Berlin, Germany
9. Paesano Pizza – Glasgow, Scotland
10. Del Popolo Pizza – Antwerp, BelgiumReview - 'With the star offering unavailable, Pi Pizza is wholly enjoyable - but not life-changing'