Indy Power: Go nuts for macaroons
Chocolate-dipped afternoon delights.
Just five simple ingredients for the most gorgeous, nutritious afternoon treat.
Please log in or register with Independent.ie for free access to this article.
Gluten free, dairy free & vegan.
220g desiccated coconut
60g ground almonds
90g solid coconut oil
125ml maple syrup
75g dark chocolate
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Add all of the ingredients except the chocolate to your food processor and blend for about one full minute until you have a sticky mixture that you can easily roll into a ball. You still want the desiccated coconut to have some texture though.
3. Line a baking sheet with baking paper. Roll the mixture into tightly packed balls (approx. 12), place them on to the baking sheet and press them down gently with your palm.
4. Bake for about 12 minutes until golden.
5. Take them out and let them cool fully on a wire rack.
6. When they're cool, melt the chocolate.
7. Dip the flat bottom of each macaroon into the chocolate and then set it on a plate covered in baking paper. Repeat with each macaroon, then drizzle the remaining chocolate over the top.
8. Pop them in the fridge to set.
These macaroons only have five simple ingredients, all of which can be found in the supermarket. I came up with the recipe for them while doing a pantry clear out - I try to use up any half-open bags or containers as I find them. There's nothing more satisfying than a big clear out, whether it's your kitchen cupboards or your wardrobes. Then I make a list of the things I need - after the next trip to the shops everything's clean and fully stocked. Some baking essentials that I always like to have, as well as the ingredients in this recipe, are: oats, cashews, hazelnuts, sesame seeds, ground flaxseed, cacao powder and nut butter.
I'm often asked my favourite place to shop for ingredients and my answer is always Nourish. It has shops around Dublin and one in Cork and it really is a one-stop shop for all things healthy living from household cleaning products, natural skincare and supplements to ingredients, nutritious treats and vegan essentials. I shop there weekly and I love scanning the shelves for new products - Nourish is often way ahead of the curve with the products it stocks. If you don't have one near you, you can also shop online and its delivery is really quick and reliable. I often order online while I'm travelling so that it arrives the day I come home.