Spiced lentil and carrot soup
This recipe from Jane Hornby is packed full of iron. You can use a can of coconut milk instead of milk if you want to keep it dairy free. For a warming and nutritious supper, add some cooked strips of chicken at the end of cooking. Serves four.
* 2 tsp cumin seeds
* Pinch of chilli flakes
* 2 tbsp olive oil
* 600g carrots, washed and coarsely grated (no need to peel)
* 140g split red lentils
* 1l hot vegetable stock
* 125ml milk
* Plain yogurt and naan bread, to serve
* Heat a large saucepan and dry-fry the cumin seeds and chilli flakes for one minute, or until they start to jump around the pan and release their aromas.
* Scoop out about half of the seeds with a spoon and set aside.
* Add the oil, carrot, lentils, stock and milk to the pan and bring to the boil.
* Simmer for 15 mins until the lentils have swollen and softened.
* Whizz the soup with a stick blender or in a food processor until smooth (or leave it chunky if you prefer).
* Season to taste and finish with a dollop of yogurt and a sprinkling of the reserved toasted spices.
* Serve with warmed naan breads.