Life Food & Drink

Saturday 23 February 2019

Galway Food Festival will not take place this year, organisers announce

Galway Food Festival
Galway Food Festival
JP McMahon
Geraldine Gittens

Geraldine Gittens

The Galway Food Festival will not take place this year.

In a statement, festival organisers said they were taking a break "to reflect on its position and impact in the food community in Galway, and to look into funding opportunities for expanding and developing the future of the festival".

The festival, which has been running since 2012, was attended by more than 70,000 people last year.

JP McMahon, chairperson of the Galway Food Festival, said: “Over the past seven years the Galway Food Festival has been crucial in establishing Galway as a food destination. Its legacy has been continued in various ways, such as through Food On The Edge which grew out of the Galway Food Festival and will be returning this year.”

Over the years, the Galway Food Festival has provided opportunities for local food and drink producers to develop their businesses.

Eugene Greaney, Co-Owner of The Dough Bros said, “We first took part in the Galway Food Festival in 2014 when we had been trading for nine months, and it was a real landmark moment for us in our journey. We were set up in the Spanish Arch and for three days people queued for up to an hour for our pizza - you can’t imagine the confidence that gave us. At that point we knew we had something that people wanted, and needed to take our business to a bigger audience which led to our pop-up shop. The rest as they say is history but the Galway Food Festival really was the springboard for this.”

Online Editors

Editors Choice

Also in Life