Revealed: World's 50 Best Restaurants announced but Ireland fails to land spot
New York's Eleven Madison Park has been named the best restaurant in the world at the annual World's 50 Best ceremony held in Melbourne this afternoon.
The restaurant, at the helm of chef Daniel Humm, knocked last year's winner Osteria Francescana in Italy into second place, while Spanish restaurant El Celler de Can Roca was named third best.
An Irish restaurant failed to feature on the respected list, which was first established in 2002. The final list is decided by a panel of more than 1,000 chefs, food writers and other experts who judge throughout 26 geographic locations.
While Ireland's food scene has yet to be recognised on the list, several venues in the UK were celebrated at the ceremony, held in Melbourne's Royal Exhibition Building today.
East London's Clove Club placed 26th on the prestigious list, while Brett Graham's The Ledbury was named 27th. Dinner by Heston Blumenthal also made the cut and was added at number 35 on the list.
French restaurants had a strong presence on the list with Mirazur in Menton placed fourth, and Arpège and Plaza Athénée in Paris also featuring.
An Irish restaurant has featured on the list just once in 2003, when Thornton's was included. Many critics suggest this could be down to the fact that our nation falls beneath the UK region when it comes to voting.
Speaking in 2014, respected food critic Lucinda O'Sullivan said she had little hope of an Irish restaurant ever being recognised in the awards, as judging is much different to that conducted by Michelin.
Ireland is included within the UK region, which is comprised of a panel of 36 judges, who each get seven votes, three of which must be casted to restaurants outside their region. O'Sullivan suggested that there is little Irish representation on this UK panel.
Lucinda wrote: "I am beginning to wonder now if, like the Eurovision Song Contest, regional continental block voting is affecting the results – and if other small countries feel neglected in this 'world' event. I have been to the two London restaurants in the Best 50 list and I can tell you we have better here; I certainly don't know how they got into the top 10."
"Until Ireland gets a fair representation on the voting panel for our 'region', it is hard to take the World's 50 'Best' seriously," she said.
The world's 50 best restaurants
1. Eleven Madison Park (New York City)
2. Osteria Francescana (Modena, Italy) *best restaurant in Europe*
3. El Celler de Can Roca (Girona, Spain)
4. Mirazur (Menton, France)
5. Central (Lima) *best restaurant in South America*
6. Asador Etxebarri (Biscay, Spain)
7. Gaggan (Bangkok) *best restaurant in Asia*
8. Maido (Lima, Peru)
9. Mugaritz (San Sebastian, Spain)
10. Steirereck (Vienna)
11. Blue Hill at Stone Barns (Pocantico Hills, New York) *highest climber*
12. Arpege (Paris)
13. Alain Ducasse Au Plaza Athenee (Paris) *highest re-entry*
14. Restaurant Andre (Singapore)
15. Piazza Duomo (Alba, Italy)
16. D.O.M. (Sao Paulo, Brazil)
17. Le Bernardin (New York City)
18. Narisawa (Tokyo, Japan)
19. Geranium (Copenhagen)
20. Pujol (Mexico City)
21. Alinea (Chicago)
22. Quintonil (Mexico City)
23. White Rabbit (Moscow)
24. Amber (Hong Kong)
25. Tickets (Barcelona)
26. Clove Club (London)
27. The Ledbury (London)
28. Nahm (Bangkok)
29. Le Calandre (Rubano, Italy)
30. Arzak (San Sebastian, Spain)
31. Alleno Paris au Pavillon Ledoyen (Paris) *highest new entry*
32. Attica (Melbourne) *best restaurant in Australasia*
33. Astrid (Lima, Peru)
34. De Librije (Zwolle, Netherlands)
35. Septime (Paris) *sustainable restaurant award*
36. Dinner by Heston Blumenthal (London)
37. Saison (San Francisco)
38. Azurmendi (Larrabetzu, Spain)
39. Relae (Copenhagen)
40. Cosme (New York) *new*
41. Ultraviolet by Paul Pairet (Shanghai)
42. Borago (Santiago)
43. Reale (Castel di Sangro, Italy) *new*
44. Brae (Birregurra, Australia) *new*
45. Den (Tokyo), last year's one to watch *new*
46. L'Astrance (Paris)
47. Vendome (Bergisch Gladbach, Germany)
48. Restaurant Tim Raue (Berlin)
49. Tegui (Buenos Aires) *new*
50. Hof Van Cleve (Kruishoutem, Belgium)