Five-Spiced Steamed Greens
This is my go-to dish when I need a green vegetable side. Steaming the veggies keeps them crunchy and vibrant green. One of my pet peeves are khaki-green vegetables. Chinese five-spice is an aromatic spice blend with hints of ginger and anise, perfect for seasoning crisp greens. I use a variety of green veggies: asparagus, frozen peas, green beans, broccoli and mangetout.
* 1 bunch tender stem broccoli, about 12 florets
* 1 courgette, diced into small cubes
* 150g mangetout or sugarsnap peas
* 1tsp Chinese five-spice
* 2tbsp olive oil
* Salt and pepper
* Steam the vegetables for 3 minutes in a steam oven or a stove-top steamer pot.
* Toss vegetables with five-spice, olive oil, salt and pepper.