Today as we celebrate 125 years of fish and chips, the nation's favourite has survived many fads and fashions to keep it placed firmly in our hearts.
- Fish and chips have 595 calories in the average portion. An average pizza has 871, while a Big Mac meal has 888.
- A portion contains 30% of a woman's recommended daily calorie intake and 23% of a man's.
- The term "French fries" was introduced when American soldiers arrived in Belgium during the First World War.
- The word batter comes from the French word batter, which means to beat, a reference to beating or whisking in batter preparation.
- Last year's inaugural National Fish and Chips Day saw over 180,000 people visit their local ITICA chipper to enjoy a 'one and one'.
- An incredible 65,000 pounds of fish and 360,000 pounds of potatoes were used by ITICA chippers to cope with demand.