How to save your baby or child when they are choking - in five simple steps
St John of Ambulance, the volunteer organisation that teaches and provides First Aid, has two useful videos that can help save your child's life in the event of a choking incident.
Babies especially have a natural habit of putting things into their mouths - even foods that could cause them to choke.
Five simple steps will save your child's life, according to St John of Ambulance.
What to do if a baby is choking
1. Slap it out - lay the baby face down along your thigh and support their head. Give five back blows between their shoulder blades. Turn them over and check their mouth each time
2. Squeeze it out - Using two fingers, give five sharp chest thrusts, and check the mouth each time
3. Call 999/112 for emergency help. Take the baby with you to call
4. Repeat the steps one and two until help arrives
What to do if a child is choking
1 Cough it out - Encourage the child to keep coughing
2. Slap it out - Give five sharp back blows between the shoulder blades, and check their mouth each time
3. Squeeze it out - give five abdominal thrusts, and check their mouth each time
4. Call 999/112 for emergency help
5. Repeat steps two and three until help arrives.