Lentils are a good source of fibre, and contain protein. With two slices of wholegrain bread this is a really healthy and filling lunch or tea. - 1 tbsp olive oil - 2 tsp ground cumin - 1 medium onion, peeled & diced - 2 cloves garlic – peeled & finely
chopped - 1 carrot – peeled & diced - 1 cup = 150g red split lentils - 1 tsp dried chilli flakes ( optional) - 900– 1,000ml light vegetable stock - 2 tbsp tomato purée - Salt & pepper - Freshly chopped coriander.
1. Prepare all the vegetables.
2. In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over a medium heat and add the cumin. Lightly toast for 20 seconds or so. Add in the onions, cover and sweat for 5– 10 minutes until soft.
3. Add the garlic, carrot, lentils and chilli flakes. Stir and cook in the oil for one minute or so.
4. Cover the ingredients with hot stock. Bring to the boil and reduce the heat to allow the soup to simmer gently for 30 minutes until the lentils and carrots are tender.
5. Stir in the tomato purée and seasonings.
6. Use a hand blender or food processor to blitz the soup until smooth. Check the seasoning and consistency. Adjust as necessary.
7. Serve hot with two slices of wholegrain bread and freshly chopped coriander.
Mother & Babies