Italian Meatballs (12 months +)
100g (three and a half oz) minced beef
Half an onion, finely chopped
1 potato, cooked and mashed
Pinch of salt
Freshly ground pepper to taste
Ingredients for the tomato sauce
200g (7 oz) tomatoes
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
1 tablespoon tomato puree
4 fresh basil leaves, chopped
* Mix together the minced beef, onion, mashed potato, salt and pepper. Make small balls (about 15) and leave to sit for 10-15 minutes at room temperature.
* Wash the tomatoes and cut them into quarters
* In a heavy-based saucepan, heat half of the olive oil over a medium heat and cook the garlic until lightly golden.
Add the tomatoes, tomato puree and basil. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
* Heat the rest of the olive oil in another pan over a medium heat and carefully add the meatballs.
Brown them on all sides so that they are sealed, meaning you can no longer see any raw meat on the outside.
* Remove the tomato sauce for the heat and blend. Add the meatballs and cook over a low heat for about 10 minutes or until the meatballs are cooked through.