How to pick a good creche
* First things first, ask for the creche's latest HSE inspection report. You should have it within a few days if it is not already online.
* Comb through the regulations, pay attention to what it may have failed on . . . eg garda vetting, staff qualifications.
* It sounds obvious but when you visit a creche, look at the other children, are they busy, happy, are they being attended to?
* Does the creche feel a bit industrial sized, like a school? They're going to spend enough time at those . . . so pick one that feels homely.
* Ask how many children are attending on any given day and how many staff are allocated to each room.
* Take a note of the meals on offer and ask to see how allergies are recorded and displayed in the kitchen areas.