The regulations provide that:
• Where safety belts have been fitted they must be worn
• Children under three years of age must not travel in a car or goods vehicle (other than a taxi) unless restrained in the correct child seat
• Children aged three years or over who are under 150cm in height and weighing less than 36kg (ie generally children up to 11/12 years of age) must use the correct child seat, booster seat or booster cushion when travelling in cars or goods vehicles
• Children over three years of age must travel in a rear seat in vehicles not fitted with safety belts
• Rearward-facing child car seats must never be used in the front passenger seat of cars with an active airbag
• Child car seats must be in accordance with EU or United Nations-Economic Commis¬sion for Europe (UN-ECE) standards
• Drivers have a legal responsibility to ensure passengers aged under 17 use the correct seat, booster seat, booster cushion or seatbelt.