The Irish Nutrition and Dietetic Institute offers the following nutrition tips for exam students:
* Don't skip meals, especially breakfast.
* At breakfast ensure you choose foods that are high in fibre and give your body a slow, steady release of glucose – for example, wholemeal bread or porridge.
* Avoid any kind of weight loss diets during this time as many of these are lacking in essential nutrients and can hit concentration.
* Take a healthy snack with you to eat either during or before the exam.
* Try to eat a good lunch, and avoid the local chipper. Fatty foods will leave you feeling full and sluggish.
* Don't overdo it on caffeine, but do have other drinks such as fruit juice, herbal tea and water.