Monday 23 October 2017

School fire forces move to hotel and town hall

Craig Hughes

MORE than 200 students were forced to sit their Junior and Laving Cert examinations in makeshift centres yesterday following a fire at their school.

Students at Tullow Community School in Co Carlow moved to the town hall and the Mount Wolseley Hotel after the fire caused extensive damage to their school. Gardai were examining the scene yesterday and reviewing CCTV footage.

It is believed the fire started in a wheelie bin at the side of the school on Tuesday night. It caused a lot of damage to four practical classrooms as well as the roof.

"We are currently going through video surveillance footage," school principal Paul Thornton said.

"We are still waiting for the assessors to tell us the full extent of the damage," he added.

Irish Independent

Editors Choice

Also in Life