Colleges forge links
Irish universities and institutes of technology are forging closer links in the Middle East.
- The Royal College of Surgeons of Ireland has had a satellite college in Bahrain since 2003. It attracts students seeking medical training from across the Arab world.
- The home base of the college in Dublin also attracts significant numbers of students from the Middle East to study in Dublin.
- Irish institutes of technology have recently signed agreements to admit more than 1,000 students from Saudi Arabia for vocational training. The scheme was expanded earlier this month during an Irish trade mission in the region.
- About 800 Saudi students are currently studying here and it is estimated that they bring in €20m to the Irish economy every year.
- In 2005 staff at UCD were involved in training Iraqi physicists as the country tried to rebuild its education system after the second Gulf War.