Wednesday 17 January 2018

Irish bride who was made redundant without warning said ordeal 'ruined' her wedding plans

Rachel Quinlivan with her sister Sandra. Photo: Facebook
Rachel Quinlivan with her sister Sandra. Photo: Facebook
Amy Mulvaney

Amy Mulvaney

An Irish bride who spent 11 days at a sit-in says redundancy 'ruined' her wedding plans.

Rachel Quilivian was one of 17 workers who were made redundant without warning when Limerick nursery school Tic Toc shut its doors on June 3.

The workers from the crèche in Westbury barricaded themselves into the building for 11 days and pledged to stay until they received holiday pay, redundancy settlements and forms allowing them to claim social welfare.

Ms Quinlivan left the protest on Tuesday to marry her long-term partner, Lawrence O’Shaughnessy.

The bride-to-be had to shelve her honeymoon plans to go on a cruise around the Mediterranean as well as her plans to go to a spa for her hen party due to the pay battle.

Instead of pampering and preparing for her big day, the mother-of-three slept on the floor of a dining room in the crèche to fight for what she was owed.

“I should be relaxing and taking it easy ahead of my big day,” she told the Irish Daily Mail before the sit-in ended.

“But I don’t know whether I am coming or going, trying to organise, trying to phone people and make sure everything is in place.”

“I’m really anxious now. But I have to be here with the girls to stand up for what we deserve.”

However, despite the adverse conditions, the wedding went ahead and Ms Quinlivan said her vows at the Star of the Sea Church in Quilty, Co Clare on Tuesday.

She made the decision to go ahead with the wedding due to the large deposits she would have lost otherwise.

Ms Quinlivan’s colleague Rose O’Donnell said it was awful that her friend had to deal with the redundancy right before her wedding, which she had worked so hard for.

“I know this because I could see it every day. Then to have to cancel things and scale back on things she thought she was going to have for her wedding is just terrible,” she said.

The workers received their redundancy money on the same day, and the sit in officially ended at 3:30pm.

Online Editors

Promoted Links

Life Newsletter

Our digest of the week's juiciest lifestyle titbits.

Promoted Links

Editors Choice

Also in Life