A YOUNG mother who was killed in front of her two young children was strangled, initial post-mortem results reveal.
The Sunday Independent has also learnt that Polish national Aleksandra Sarzynska, 32, was due to become an Irish citizen later this month.
Ms Sarzynska's sons, aged six months and three years of age, were being cared for by her family yesterday.
Gardai were yesterday questioning a man, also of Polish origin, about the killing at the Bective House apartments in Beaufort Place, Navan, Co Meath, at around 6pm on Friday.
Neighbours heard loud banging noises coming from Ms Sarzynska's apartment at around tea-time. Then a man living next door heard loud knocking at his front door from a man who was bleeding heavily from his forehead.
The neighbour said this man, who he knew to speak to, "ran" into his apartment and threw himself on the sofa. He asked the owner of the apartment to call an ambulance and then began talking to himself in Polish. He gave the man a towel to stanch the flow of blood from his head wound which, gardai believe, was self-inflicted.
The man was barefoot. The door to their apartment was closed and the neighbour was unable to gain entry. Gardai arrived shortly after and broke down the door to find Ms Sarzynska already dead. Her children were unhurt.
The ambulance took the injured man to Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital in Drogheda accompanied by gardai. He was still being treated in hospital yesterday.
Another neighbour said Ms Sarzynska and her family had been living in the apartment for about two years.
It is understood relatives arrived on Friday evening to take care of Ms Sarzynska's two boys.
Beaufort Place is a quiet residential area. Navan Fianna Fail councillor Tommy Reilly said: "It's an awful tragedy in the town. My sympathies go out to the woman's family."
Padraig Fitzsimons, another Fianna Fail councillor in Navan, said: "There is no history of any trouble there. It's a very settled area. We're really shocked."
The post-mortem was carried out yesterday after forensic examination of the crime scene was completed.
Gardai were in contact with the Director of Public Prosecutions throughout yesterday and it is expected the man will be brought to court either today or tomorrow.
Investigating officers asked anyone with information about the killing to contact Navan garda station on 046 9036100, the garda confidential line on 1800 666 111 or any garda station.