Tuesday 21 November 2017

Young man killed after being hit by truck while walking along the M50

The scene of the accident on the M50 last night. Photo: Damien Eagers
The scene of the accident on the M50 last night. Photo: Damien Eagers
Allison Bray

Allison Bray

A pedestrian who was walking on the M50 motorway was killed last night in the second fatal road accident so far this year.

The victim, a male in his 20s, died instantly after he was struck by an articulated lorry on the northbound section of the motorway close to the Ballymun exit at Junction 4 at the height of rush hour at 5:30pm.

Gardai last night could not establish why the man was walking on the motorway -which is illegal.

How he wound up on the motorway will form a crucial part of the investigation into the accident, according to gardaí.

The man's body was taken to James Connolly Memorial Hospital in Blanchardstown for a post-mortem examination.

The lorry driver was not injured in the accident.

However, it led to long tailbacks on the northbound motorway after diversions were put in place at Junction 4 to facilitate a garda forensic investigation.

While fatalities involving pedestrians on motorways are extremely rare, they have occurred here before, according to AA Ireland spokesman Conor Faulknan.

The chances of a pedestrian being fatally injured if walking on a motorway are very high, he said. It is illegal for pedestrians, cyclists and hitch-hikers to be on motorways for a very good reason, he said.

"On a motorway you're in the greatest of danger," he said.

Aside from the fact that motorists can be travelling at speeds of 120 km/hr or more, "motorways are much more dangerous than they appear" because cars do not appear to be travelling at such high speeds until someone is actually on the roadside, he said.

"Your senses will be fooled on the motorway," he said.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News