Friday 23 February 2018

Young man dies in mushroom factory tragedy

He said Moore's father was disgusted and mortified by his son's behaviour but was still in court to support him. Stock picture
He said Moore's father was disgusted and mortified by his son's behaviour but was still in court to support him. Stock picture
Cathal McMahon

Cathal McMahon

A young man has died after an incident at a mushroom growing house in Co Monaghan.

Emergency services were called to the business on the outskirts of Emyvale, Co Monaghan, shortly after 8pm.

It is understood the man, aged in his 20s, became fatally ill while working in one of the growing houses. He collapsed and was later pronounced dead at the scene. Separate investigations have been launched into the incident by the Gardaí and the Health and Safety Authority.

One theory being examined is that the man, who is from the area, was overcome by toxic fumes. A post-mortem examination will take place this morning.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News