Saturday 18 November 2017

Young man (25) missing since he planned to return home to grandmother's on Sunday

Denise Calnan

Denise Calnan

A young man has been missing since he planned to return home to his grandmother's on Sunday evening.

Kieran Hayes (25) was travelling home from Cork to Ennis, Co Clare when he texted his grandmother asking her to collect him from the bus.

He was returning home from visiting his stepbrother in Douglas, Cork and told his grandmother he would be due in to the bus station in Ennis at approximately 5.30pm.

Kieran signed the text off with a kiss. He briefly returned to his stepbrother's house hours later and was described as being in a 'distressed state'.

Today, his aunt Janet appealed for information on the young man. She said the family are extremely concerned for his welfare.

Speaking to 96fm's Opinion Line, Janet said Kieran had a 'definite plan' to return home on Sunday evening, but has been missing since.

"He had a definite plan, he was in great form, he was on the way to the bus and his grandmother was collecting him," Janet told the programme.

"My mother, Kieran's grandmother, drove the hour to Ennis and waited and waited at the bus station.

"Then just before 7pm Kieran's stepbrother sent a message and said Kieran had arrived back at his house at 6pm, he hadn't got the bus," she continued.

"He said he was in a very vulnerable state. He said he had cuts and grazes on his face. He was in a fairly bad way and had a bottle of vodka in his hand.

"Kieran is not a drinker and he never drinks spirits. It is completely out of character.

"Kieran's stepbrother was unable to keep him at the house and he insisted he was leaving again to go home to Clare."

"Whatever happened after he text his grandmother at 1:40pm, we don't know but something obviously went wrong."

Janet said she received a call from a young woman last night saying she had seen Kieran in the Blackpool area of Cork between 8pm and 9pm on Sunday evening.

She said Kieran had been involved in an accident when he fell in front of a van. The young woman said she and her boyfriend waited with Kieran until the ambulance brought him to Cork University Hospital. It is believed he may have fractured his wrist.

Janet said the CUH confirmed Kieran had been discharged in the early hours of Monday morning.

"Kieran doesn't know Cork at all, he knows nobody in Cork." Janet continued.

"He had no money left after the week. he had his return ticket but he had no money as such on him, no clothes or anything on him either.

"And at this stage he's lost his mobile phone.

"He was on his own arriving at the hospital and on his own leaving the hospital.

"He has had no history of his kind of behaviour at all. He's very close to his grandmother, there's no way he wouldn't contact his grandmother.

"'I'm just very frightened Kieran may have met the wrong people or got in with the wrong crowd. He has the common sense of a much younger person.

"We're just out of our mind. He's always contacted his grandmother. He had sound plans to meet her on Sunday."

Kieran is described as being 6ft tall, of a slim build, with a tight auburn-coloured haircut.

Kieran has a tattoo of a panther on his right shoulder and his own name tattooed on his right forearm.

When last seen he was wearing a white jumper and terracotta-coloured chinos.

Kieran moved from Sheffield to Ireland three years ago and is described as having a heavy Yorkshire accent.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Togher Garda Station on 021 4947120.

Online Editors

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News