Thursday 14 December 2017

Workman heard glass breaking around time of fatal attack

Conor Feehan and  Cormac McQuinn

A TRADESMAN working on a house near to the home of tragic stabbing victim John Maguire has reported hearing glass breaking and a disturbance at around the time the former publican is believed to have been attacked.

The man has told gardai that the noises came from the direction of Mr Maguire's Ormond Square home at around 1pm on Monday.

The owner of the house where the work was being carried out said the workman had told him of the disturbance after medics rushed Mr Maguire to hospital.

"He said he didn't take much notice of it at the time because he didn't hear any raised voices or shouting, but he said he heard a bit of a ruckus and glass breaking," the homeowner said.

The murdered businessman was captured on the CCTV in his local shop just days before he was brutally stabbed to death at his home.

Mr Maguire was found with severe stab wounds behind the front door of his house in Ormond Square on Dublin's northside by a neighbour who noticed that the door was ajar.


Just two days before he met his violent death, Mr Maguire was captured on the CCTV system in a convenience store on the nearby quays.

He told shopworker Haroon Nawab that he was going to Kerry for the day and would be back on Sunday.

Mr Nawab added: "He was always very polite and friendly. He would ask how our week was going and was a good man."

Mr Maguire was found just behind his front door on Monday at about 2.30pm, with locals describing how they saw blood on the walls.

Attempts by emergency services to revive him were unsuccessful and he died at the scene shortly afterwards.

Mr Maguire, originally from Terenure – and a past pupil of the exclusive Terenure College – had lived in the house at Ormond Square with his partner Jim Hynes for 15 years.

Mr Hynes is the deputy chief executive and chief operating officer of aid agency Concern.

A charity spokeswoman said last night: "Our thoughts and prayers are with their families at this terrible time."

During the 1990s, Mr Maguire managed the Lansdowne Bar in Ballsbridge, Dublin, not far from the Lansdowne Road stadium.

And although the bar was sold to new owners in late 1995, Mr Maguire maintained close ties with the neighbourhood – and the 51-year-old would get his Alpha Romeo serviced in the garage across the road from the Lansdowne Bar.

Garage owner Stanley Faulkner said he was "dumbfounded" at news of his death.

He said: "He'd come into us occasionally – he was here in the last year.

"I'm shocked. He was a very pleasant guy."

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News