Monday 11 December 2017

Worker killed by sewage fumes

One man has died and a second was taken to hospital after a workplace accident.

It is believed the men were overcome by fumes while they removed sewage from a septic tank at a commercial premises in Garryvoe in east Cork.

The Health and Safety Authority (HSA) and gardai have launched separate investigations into the incident, which happened at about 1pm.

Gardai confirmed the 27-year-old man was pronounced dead at the scene while his 32-year-old colleague remains in a stable condition in Cork University Hospital.

The pair worked for a firm called Munster Drain Services, which has declined to comment on the incident.

The HSA said its inspectors were en route to the scene.

Press Association

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News