News Irish News

Saturday 24 February 2018

Woman found dead as son on flight

The body of Patricia Kierans is taken away from her family home in Bailieborough, Co Cavan.
The body of Patricia Kierans is taken away from her family home in Bailieborough, Co Cavan.

A son of a woman found murdered in her home was on his way to Australia when her body was discovered.

An armed man who barricaded himself in a pub in Bailieborough, Co Cavan, after gardai were alerted to the killing was arrested in the early hours of this morning.

He was detained on suspicion of the murder.

The dead woman has been named locally as Patricia Kierans, a 56-year-old mother of four.

Three of her children have emigrated to Australia. The fourth was on a flight to meet his siblings when his mother was killed, a priest in the town revealed.

"It's a time like this that it's the four adult children I would be concerned about. Three of them are in Australia and one of them was on his flight when this happened," curate Father Oliver O'Reilly told RTE.

"To face this on such a long journey home is awful. My thoughts and prayers are with them all."

Armed gardai and the army were forced to seal off streets in Bailieborough town centre from about 8pm last night after a man carrying a firearm was found in the Square Bar, where he is a regular.

Gardai had appealed for a blackout on reporting of the incident when the alarm was first raised and requested media not to disclose details for several hours during the siege.

Locals reported that the man had barricaded himself in the pub.

Armed gardai were deployed to the street outside the pub for several hours and it is also understood that trained negotiators were called in to try to bring the siege to an end.

People living in the town centre were asked to remain in their homes during the incident and traffic was diverted around the town.

Ms Kierans' body was discovered at a house on the Drumbannon estate - 10 minutes away from the pub where the siege took place - before the armed man was discovered.

The scene has been preserved for technical investigation and the state pathologist is expected to carry out a post-mortem examination.

It is understood the arrested man was holed up in the pub for around eight hours.

After the siege ended peacefully, the man was taken to Bailieborough Garda Station under the provisions of Section 50 of the Criminal Justice sAct 2007.

The pub has also been preserved for technical examination.

Gardai have appealed for anyone who may have witnessed anything suspicious in Drumbannon to come forward.

Press Association

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News