Saturday 20 January 2018

Woman died after taking 'Dr Death' drug, inquest told

Leanne McCloskey died after taking PMA the ecstasy-like drug
Leanne McCloskey died after taking PMA the ecstasy-like drug
Leanne McCloskey's mum Alice pictured today leaving the coroners court in Drogheda after Leanne's inquest
Leanne McCloskey took 'Dr Death' or 'super ecstasy', inquest told

Elaine Keogh

A YOUNG woman died after taking a drug commonly known as 'Dr Death' or 'super ecstasy', an inquest has heard.

The family of Leanne McCloskey (23) was told that while the substance PMA is often sold as ecstasy, there was no trace of ecstasy found in her blood and instead tests confirmed her death was due to PMA toxicity.

Earlier this year, the PSNI issued an alert about PMA (para-Methoxyamphetamine) and it has been linked to a number of deaths in Belfast last summer as well as deaths in England in recent years.

It is often sold as ecstasy or mixed with it and the PSNI said: "The combination of MDMA (ecstasy) and PMA can be particularly hazardous to health and has been linked with numerous deaths worldwide."

Drogheda Coroner's Court was told that Ms McCloskey, from High Road, Mornington County Meath, died at 7pm on April 17 this year in the intensive care unit of Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital.

This was three days after she had been admitted. The inquest heard that she was taken into hospital with a high temperature, a fast heart rate and she had a seizure in the CT scan room. The inquest was told that she was pronounced dead following the results of tests on her brain stem. Gda Sgt Fearghal O'Toole, Drogheda said that her brother Mark had identified her body to him in the ICU.

Pathologist Dr John Ryan performed the post-mortem and said toxicology tests were carried out and he had given the gardai bio-chemistry samples that were taken from Ms McCloskey when she was first admitted to the hospital.

"I understand from the state laboratory that the level of PMA was significant and was in keeping with causing death," said Dr Ryan. He concluded death was due to PMA toxicity.

He said there was no MDMA in her body. Mr Maguire expressed his "admiration" to the family for donating her organs and said a letter from Beaumont Hospital in Dublin confirmed that two people had benefited as a result.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News