A 19-year-old woman was killed when the car she was driving smashed into a wall near Galway city centre in the early hours of yesterday morning.
The two other occupants of the car, a 21-year-old man and an 18-year-old woman, are being treated for non-life threatening injuries at University Hospital Galway.
A section of the city centre road was closed for forensic examination yesterday but was reopened in the afternoon.
Gardai at Mill Street, Galway, are investigating the circumstances of the crash which occurred at 3.30am.
A man was arrested yesterday on suspicion of murdering Ger McMahon in Limerick. The 44-year-old was arrested by gardai on Limerick's southside in a house raid. He was brought to Roxboro Road Garda Station, where he was questioned under Section Four of the Criminal Justice Act.
Mr McMahon, 43, was found slumped at the front steps of a house with multiple stab wounds on January 18.
Two brothers appeared in court last Friday charged in connection with the killing.
THERE was no winner of last night's €2m Lotto jackpot. The numbers drawn were 3, 12, 18, 27, 38, 42 (bonus 29).
There were two Match 5+bonus winners, who each get €25,000; 50 Match 5s (€1,500); 117 Match 4+bonus (€161); 2,315 Match 4s (€50); 2,927 Match 3+bonus (€26); and 37,955 Match 3s (€5). The Lotto Plus 1 numbers were 1, 10, 15, 17, 32 37 (bonus 23) and the Lotto Plus 2 numbers were 17, 31, 34, 35, 36, 45 (bonus 16).
In the UK draw for £4.1m the numbers were 10, 12, 25, 28, 31, 40 (bonus 1).
A MAN appeared at a district court sitting yesterday charged with the 2009 murder of a Co Wicklow man.
Clement Byrne, 48, of Ballintone, Greenane, Rathdrum, Co Wicklow, was arrested in Suffolk in the UK two weeks ago on foot of a European arrest warrant.
He was extradited to Ireland on Friday and charged with the murder of 26-year-old father-of-three Stephen O'Meara, from Wicklow town, on or about August 5, 2009, at a wooded area near Redcross, Co Wicklow.
Byrne was remanded in custody to appear before Cloverhill District Court on Friday next at 10.30am.
THE family of murdered teenager Marioara Rostas, whose body was recovered from the Dublin Mountains last week, are due in Ireland this week to bring her home to her native Romania.
Her parents are expected to formally claim the body of the 18-year-old girl, who was abducted while begging on a city street and later murdered in a Dublin house.
The prime suspect in the case is a notorious criminal, currently in jail awaiting trial on other charges, who gardai believe repeatedly raped Marioara, shot her and then dumped her body. (Full Story Page 16)
Fianna Fail Senator Jim Walsh is to table a Seanad motion urging as part of "diplomatic dialogue with the Holy See" to extend "an official invitation to Pope Benedict XVI" to visit Ireland.
In an email to all senators Mr Walsh wrote: "If you would like to add your name to this motion please let me know before 1pm, Monday January 30, 2012." Ireland's increasingly thorny relationship with the Vatican, which resulted in the closure of the Vatican embassy, has been a source of tension between Fine Gael and Labour TDs.
Speaking to the Sunday Independent a senior Fianna Fail source denied claims that the motion was an attempt to stir up trouble between the Coalition partners.
A lawyer wants all the Boston College Belfast tapes made available to the Smithwick Tribunal to see if they contain any references to IRA atrocities along the Border.
John McBurney, who is representing the family of Chief Superintendent Harry Breen at the tribunal, says the tapes must be examined to see if they contain any references to the 1989 ambush and other IRA attacks.
Boston College's oral history collection, which is at the centre of a legal tug of war in the American courts, contains the accounts of 26 former IRA members.
Mr McBurney says that any reference on the tapes to the ambush of Harry Breen and Supt Bob Buchanan, or to the Kingsmill Massacre, or other atrocities carried out by the IRA's south Armagh units, is relevant to Smithwick.
Northern Ireland's First Minister Peter Robinson yesterday attended his first GAA match in his official capacity when he accompanied Deputy First Minister Martin McGuinness to the McKenna Cup Final between Derry and Tyrone in Armagh last night.
The Office of Public Works has said it will not carry out works to alleviate flooding of the Ennis-Limerick railway line even though a report part-blamed it for the problem.
Rail services were suspended for seven weeks in February 2008 and for a further eight weeks late in 2009 after the railway line at Ballycar near Newmarket on Fergus became submerged in floodwaters.
The lengthy line closures are understood to have cost Iarnrod Eireann up to €1m in lost revenue. The rail line remains at risk of flooding in the next few weeks.
Derry will host Fleadh Cheoil na hEireann in 2013 -- the first time the event will be held in the North -- where it is expected to generate up to €40m for the region.
Last Thursday, the Ulster Council of Comhaltas Ceoltoiri Eireann reversed an earlier decision not to back Derry's application to hold the all-Ireland fleadh next year.
The reason for they gave was that they would not be able to support the bid due to the potential threat posed by dissident republicans. Some members had also expressed concern at Derry holding the fleadh in the same year that it held the title 'UK City of Culture'.
An elderly man drove more than 10km on the wrong side of a busy dual-carriageway last Friday night, only avoiding being killed by the quick actions of other motorists.
The pensioner was driving to Shannon Airport to collect his son. The man, from Co Limerick, had driven about 15km from the beginning of the N18 near Limerick, to the Drumline Interchange near Shannon, before making a wrong turn and driving back down the slip-road again.
The man then drove up to 10km in the wrong direction, towards Limerick, before being eventually stopped safely by a garda patrol.