Monday 18 November 2019

Wild shellfish food poisoning alert in south west

Aideen Sheehan

CONSUMERS have been urged to avoid collecting wild shellfish in the west and southwest after a number of people got food poisoning in recent weeks.

The Food Safety Authority of Ireland said more than 10 people in Galway, Mayo and Sligo had beome ill from suspected shellfish poisoning in recent weeks, and they suspected this was linked to harmful algae.



Professor Alan Reilly, chief executive of FSAI, said some people were collecting shellfish without being aware of the potential dangers.



"Wild shellfish found along the West Coast may contain naturally occurring toxins that cannot be removed through cooking alone. Eating shellfish contaminated with these toxins can lead to people suffering nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, and stomach cramps," he said.

"

The effects are not life-threatening but can be particularly severe for older people, young children and people who may already be ill from another medical condition."

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News