‘Whoever brings in mobiles to prisons is just as guilty as the person who pulls the trigger – former garda calls for phone clampdown in jails
A garda who worked on the Roy Collins murder investigation has said that those who bring mobile phones into jails are “just as guilty as the person who pulls the trigger”.
Former garda and Fianna Fail councillor Sean Lynch has called for a “complete clampdown” on mobile phones in jails.
Mr Lynch was directly involved in the investigation of the Roy Collins murder and gave evidence over the 29 day trial.
Speaking on Newstalk this morning, he said that the authorities must act to stamp out phones in jails.
“The Minister for Justice and the prison authorities must be prepared to clampdown on mobile phones coming into prisons. Whoever is bringing in mobile phones to jails is just as guilty as the person who is directing the crime. They are just as guilty as the person who pulls the trigger. They are just as guilty as the person who drives the getaway car. They are acting in concert with the people. "
Yesterday the Special Criminal Court ruled that Wayne Dundon (36) of Lenihan Avenue, Prospect, had ordered the killing of businessman Roy Collins and Nathan Killen was the getaway driver. They had both pleaded not guilty to murdering the 35-year-old who was engaged to be married.
Mr Lynch said he arrived to scene just after Roy Collins had been shot dead at Coin Castle Amusements at the Roxoboro Road Shopping Centre on Holy Thursday 9 April 2009.
"I was there just after Roy was shot and I tried to reassure him that everything would be okay."
He described the conclusion of yesterday's court as a "landmark day" and a day "justice was served".