What's on the agenda for constitutional reform
WHEN the FG/Labour coalition was elected in February, these were the elements on constitutional reform listed in the Programme for Government:
•Judges' Pay Referendum -- carried at the weekend.
•Oireachtas Inquiries Referendum -- defeated at the weekend.
•Children's Rights Referendum -- to strengthen children's rights in the Constitution.
•Abolition of the Seanad.
•TDs' immunity -- if passed, this will protect all confidential communications between TDs and members of the public.
Other reforms which are under consideration:
• Review of Dail electoral system.
• Reducing the presidential term from seven to five years and aligning it with the local and European elections.
• Provision for same-sex marriage.
• Amending the clause on women in the home and encouraging greater participation of women in public life.
• Removing blasphemy from the Constitution.
• Possible reduction of the voting age.