News Irish News

Saturday 17 March 2018

Well-known criminal hands himself in

Barry Duggan

A LIMERICK criminal has been returned to prison after he gave himself up to gardai today.

A warrant was yesterday issued by the Supreme Court for the re-arrest of Eddie Ryan junior - the son of murdered gang enforcer Eddie Ryan senior.

Ryan (31) had been released from prison last month after a High Court judge ruled he was entitled to a third remission from a six year sentence for possession of a firearm and ammunition on the outskirts of Limerick city in 2010.

However,  the Supreme Court yesterday determined that he was not entitled to early release under Article 40 of the Constitution and ordered that he be rearrested.

This morning, Ryan presented himself to officers at Mayorstone Park garda station on the northside of Limerick city. He was immediately brought to the Midlands prison on foot of the Supreme Court warrant. Eddie is now due to be released in November.

Kieran 'Rashers' Ryan (30) - a brother of Eddie - was jailed for eight years for the same offence in 2010. That year, the brothers were rammed off the road in their Toyota Avensis by members of the armed regional support unit at Ballyneety, Co Limerick and found with a Browning semi-automatic pistol and 15 rounds of 9mm ammunition.

The pair were caught with the weapon just hours after opposing criminal Shane Mason had shot another man in the city.

Eddie and Kieran are the sons of gangland figure Eddie Ryan senior (41), who was shot dead in the Moose Bar in Limerick city in November 2000. His killing by Kieran Keane and Philip Collopy was the first life claimed in Limerick's bloody criminal feud.

The Ryan brothers were at the centre of a major garda investigation in January 2003 when they were allegedly abducted at gunpoint.

However, a week later following intensive search operations by gardai and soldiers they turned up safe and well at Portlaoise garda station just hours after their father's killer, Kieran Keane, had been lured into a chilling trap and murdered by five members of the McCarthy-Dundon gang.

Keane falsely believed he was attending a meeting where he would pay €60,000 for the brother's murder by their aductors but was double crossed and murdered on a quiet rural road at Drombanna, Co Limerick.

Online Editors

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News