We didn't lay a hand on slashed garda, claims dad
THE family who own the house where a garda was slashed in the face have revealed new details of the domestic row that brought officers to their home.
A 32-year-old garda suffered a slash wound to the face that needed 25 stitches after he responded to a row in the Redwood Lawns estate in Tallaght, Dublin, in the early hours of Sunday morning.
During the incident, two gardai were barricaded into the upstairs bathroom of the house while they waited for reinforcements to arrive.
The row led to six arrests, including four members of the O Conarain family who were celebrating the 21st birthday of one of the arrested men, Naoise.
His father, Gearoid, ex- plained how gardai were called to his home after the party at the nearby Thomas Davis GAA Club had finished.
A number of friends and family members returned to his house after the main party was over.
It was at about 3.30am when one of his children woke him to say that his sons Naoise and Fionn (23) were having a row over the arrangements that had been made for speakers for use by the DJ at the earlier party.
He said: "I got up out of bed. I was in the landing, I shoved Fionn away. There was actually a fair bit of arguing at this stage. I put Naoise in the bathroom. My other son Fionn rang the guards – unknown to any of us."
He said that gardai entered the bathroom to subdue Naoise and that he was downstairs when more gardai arrived.
Mr O Conarain said he was struck on the legs with a baton and punched in the face during a confrontation with the gardai at the front porch.
He was arrested along with Naoise, another son, Oisin (28), and his daughter Saoirse (25).
He claimed: "Not one of us laid a hand on the guards" and that while there were disposable razors in the bathroom, there were "no weapons" in the house.
Mr O Conarain's ex-wife Olga Howlett told the Irish Independent that she had filed a complaint with the Garda Siochana Ombudsman Commission (GSOC). A spokesman for GSOC declined to comment.
The six people arrested after the incident were released without charge and files have been sent to the DPP.