Saturday 18 November 2017

'We are having to beg' - families of Birmingham bombs victims

(Stock photo)
(Stock photo)

Richard Vernalls

Families of the Birmingham pub bombings victims have said they are having to "beg" for money to fund a legal bid to overturn a coroner's ban on naming suspects.

Last month, Peter Thornton QC ruled out consideration of the issue of perpetrators at fresh inquests into the deaths of the 21 people who were killed in the double pub bombings in November 1974.

That decision, given as part of a wider ruling by Mr Thornton on the scope of the inquests, has been "vehemently" opposed by some of the victims' families.

Julie Hambleton, spokeswoman for the campaign group Justice4the21, said that without the prospect of naming the bombers "we may as well not bother having an inquest at all".

The families are now seeking a judicial review of the coroner's decision in the High Court.

In order to fund the legal work and the application, they are trying to crowd-fund the initial £10,000 - although the total cost of the entire process could be as high as £100,000 (€110,000).

Launching the funding appeal website yesterday, Ms Hambleton said: "We fight for our loved ones, who aren't here to fight for themselves."

In an emotional plea, she added: "If they were alive and we were dead, they too would be standing where we are standing. We are now in a position to have to beg for the good people of Britain to help us."

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News