'We are all devastated... for him to die at 20 is just so cruel' - Family mourning death of tragic asthma victim
The family of a young Co Armagh man who died of an asthma attack on Monday night have said they are "devastated" by their loss.
Tiernan Green (20) was from the Derrymacash area and previously played football for Sarsfields GFC. He was the second young man from the Lurgan area to die suddenly in the last week. A family member said: "We are all devastated.
"For him to die at 20 by an asthma attack is just so cruel."
SDLP councillor Declan McAlinden expressed his deepest sympathies to the family of Tiernan, who had been a student at Southern Regional College Armagh and St Paul's Junior High School.
Mr McAlinden is the chairman of the club where Tiernan played Gaelic football as a youngster.
He said Tiernan was a goalkeeper in the U16 team in 2011.
In a statement he added: "Our thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends of Tiernan Green on his sudden death.
"Both Tiernan and his brother Stefan have worn the Sarsfields jersey proudly throughout their underage development."
Tiernan was popular and had many friends.
Many of them took to social media to express shock following his death.
He was described on Facebook as "one of the nicest and easiest going lads".
One friend posted: "The world really is a cruel place! Still in complete shock. RIP Tiernan Green. You will be greatly missed by everyone. I will always remember the memories we have had growing up together and how you were always there for me."
Another friend wrote: "Cannot take in once again another young soul has been taken way too soon.
"Tiernan was such a lovely person, very welcoming and friendly... always a hello and how's you?
"My heart breaks yet again for his family and the love of his life.
"Lives were enriched by his presence but are richer still by the love and wonderful memories he's left behind."
One user wrote: "Life can be so very cruel sometimes. Rest in peace Tiernan Green. You were an absolute gentleman and will be sadly missed, thinking of your whole family at this very sad time."
It is the second death to shock the local community recently, following that of 17-year-old Fintan McCabe, who passed away suddenly last Thursday, believed to have choked on food.
His funeral took place yesterday.