WATCH: Leo Varadkar tells Dublin Pride 2017 he will use office 'to stand up for LGBT rights around the world'
Leo Varadkar has expressed his delight at being the first Taoiseach to march at the annual Pride parade.
The Fine Gael leader is joining thousands of people lining Dublin's streets this afternoon for one of its most colourful parades.
Before the march kicked off, the Dublin TD said it was a significant milestone for Ireland.
"It's symbolic of the enormous changes in our society and how it has moved on in the past number of decades," he said.
"I really owe the fact that I am here to the people who have campaigned over the years when it wasn't popular or fashionable to do so."
Mr Varadkar added that there are still area Of where LGBT rights need to be improved.
"We really need to come behind and press for marriage equality in Northern Ireland. That's something I have already raised with Arlene Foster and will continue to do so.
"I'll use my office to stand up for LGBT rights around the world."
Below are some of the events at Pride on Saturday
- Dublin Pride Parade kicks off from Stephen's Green to Smithfield Square.
For those who don't fancy the parade, there are alternatives...
- Pantibar Pride Block Party, Capel Street
If you're not up for the parade itself, you can enjoy performances and music from the bar's coterie of drag queens til late.
- Party in the Square - Official Dublin Pride After Party at Smithfield Square
There will be a celebration of all things LGBTQ on one stage at Smithfield Square as the parade reaches its end point.
- GOLD Post-Parade Tea Party, Outhouse Capel Street, Dublin 1
An alcohol-free event run in association with GOLD, the peer support group for gay men aged 55+.
- Pride Saturday at The George, Georges Street, Dublin 2
Ramp up the celebrations with DJs, and pop bars out the bar.
- Mother Pride Block Party, Tivoli, Francis Street
Mother is bringing a Pride Block Party to the Tivoli Theatre with live sets from Loreen, Daithi and Faune.
There will also be DJ sets from Panti Bliss and Mother DJs as well as performances from Veda & Her Witches at the event on Saturday June 24.
Enjoy the sets from a massive main stage with indoor and outdoor bars, a selection of food stalls, and bespoke interactive installations.
Loreen, whose Eurovision smash hit Euphoria charted at number 1 in 17 countries, will take to the stage at 9pm.
- Odessa All Day Pride Social, 13 Dame Court, Dublin
- Pride at Street66, Parliament Street, Dublin 2
Resident DJ Pixie Woo, Gerry Moore and guests will play all day as well as a live Morrissey Tribue.
- WE PARTY Olympic Gaymes - Euphoria, Button Factory, Temple Bar
Coming from Madrid, Spain, WE PARTY is one of the biggest circuit parties in the world. Expect an eight and a half hour marathon of entertainment including dancers and DJ Binomio.
- Running Amach Pride Day Party
Annual party for LGBTQ women. Dancing and celebrating in the private members bar.
- George not Michael - Dublin Bear Pride, Oscars Bar, Christchurch
- Qween Pride Party at The Palace, Camden Street
The annual Pride ball with DJs.
- Spinster Super Pride Party, Bad Bob's, Sycamore Street
Superhero themed and €1 from every ticket sold will go to TENI.
- Street66 - Dublin Bear Pride, Parliament Street, Dublin 2
DJ Gerry Moore will be on hand with the tunes.
On Sunday things are little less hectic!
If you can drag your hangover out...
- Hangover Acoustic Sessions, Street66, Parliament Street, Dublin 2
- Pride Bingo with Shirley Temple Bar, The George
The Pride iteration of one of Dublin's best weekly LGBT nights will ease your sore head.
For more information check out dublinpride.ie
Independent.ie has changed its social media icons to mark Pride weekend