| 3.1°C Dublin

Violent end for career hard man

Top henchman of 'General' worked hard to build up his ruthless image.

Top henchman of 'General' worked hard to build up his ruthless image

SEAMUS "Shavo" Hogan was a lifelong criminal and was one of crime boss General Martin Cahill's most trusted lieutenants.

He was a convicted armed robber before turning his mind to trading in drugs and the 47-year-old had convictions for robbery, burglary and possession of firearms.

Hogan had convictions for robbery, burglary, shooting at gardai and possession of firearms.

He started his crime career in the Rutland Grove area of Dublin along with fellow cohort Martin "The Viper" Foley and was to become a major figure in the supply of heroin and cocaine following his release from prison in 1993 where he had served an eight year prison sentence.

Hogan began his career in crime in his mid-teens, clocking up convictions for burglary and other offences before joining forces with "General" Martin Cahill. He was a leading figure in the Cahill gang and was convicted for various armed robberies they carried out together.

He was with Cahill when the crime lord raided the Beit paintings from Russborough House in May, 1987, and during his time with the General he earned a status as a brutal thug with a reputation for violence and extreme aggression.

In 1990, relations between Cahill and Hogan soured. Cahill was furious at Hogan whom he accused of spreading the word among other criminals that the General was "touting" for the gardai and handing over weapons to take the heat off himself. It is believed that Cahill also blamed Hogan for telling gardai the location of stolen property, including paintings stolen by the gang.

Gardai say that in September 1990, 18 prisoners at Portlaoise Prison, who were believed to have been acting on Cahill's orders, ambushed Hogan and subjected him to a horrifying assault during which they attempted to carve both his ears into the shape of a rat - the gangland slang for an informer. He required 40 stitches and later sued the State for compensation.

Daily Digest Newsletter

Get ahead of the day with the morning headlines at 7.30am and Fionnán Sheahan's exclusive take on the day's news every afternoon, with our free daily newsletter.

This field is required

Hogan's Crumlin home was one of those targeted by the Garda Tango Squad in 1988 which carried out 24-hour surveillance on the General's gang as part of their crackdown on Cahill.

He was one of a number of criminals who had, in recent months, tried to apply for a taxi licence.

He was jailed for eight years in 1987 for an armed robbery during which he tried to fire on gardai. As he ran from the unarmed officers, he aimed his gun but the weapon jammed. A garda van then struck him and he was arrested.

In the back of the patrol vehicle, Hogan tried to strangle one of the officers with a walkie-talkie strap and punched another garda and broke his nose. More recently when he was arrested by officers in Crumlin he smeared his face with excrement in a police cell.

"Shavo" Hogan has become the latest in a long line of Dublin's criminals to make money through the drug trade but to meet violent and untimely deaths.

His former boss Cahill, shot to death in August 1984, was one of the country's highest profile criminal killings. He too was shot while in his car near his home outside his house in Ranelagh in August 1994.

Multi-millionaire drug trafficker Paddy Farrell was shot dead by his girlfriend, Lorraine, in their love-nest in Drogheda in September, 1997. The crime sent shock waves through the criminal underworld along the Border as Farrell was known in the area as the Mr Big of a very lucrative drugs racket, and was estimated to have built up a personal fortune of between £25m and £40m.

His death meant that a highly profitable business was up for grabs and there were no shortages of contenders for his title. Two of the would-be contenders, Brendan "Speedy" Fagan and Paul "the Bull" Downey were victims of the Provisional IRA who were not satisfied with their distributions of the profits. Fagan was shot in Newry in May 1999 and Downey was gunned down in Dublin months later.

Martin Nolan (35), a major drug distributor in the south east area was found shot dead in a disused quarry in Waterford in July last year. He had been missing since November 1999.

Derek "Maradona" Dunne was shot outside his apartment in Amsterdam in June last year. The former league of Ireland footballer was forced to leave Ireland by a well known Dublin gangster because had beat up a distant relative, who had allegedly vandalised Dunne's car. Dunne was a major north inner city heroin dealer and had been continuing his operations from his Dutch base until his death.

Young gun Mark Dwyer (23) was killed by big time dealer "Cotton Eye" Joe Delaney in December 1996 when Delaney fingered him in connection with the disappearance of a consignment of 40,000 ecstasy tablets from Amsterdam.

Delaney arranged for his son Scott (24) to abduct him from a north inner city flat and bring him to Delaney's former home in Naas where Dwyer was tortured and killed in a Reservoir Dogs style execution allegedly fuelled by drugs and drink.

William "Jock" Corbally, a small time Dublin criminal, was killed and supposedly dumped in a lime grave in Baldonnell. His body has never been found.

PJ "Psycho" Judge, a ruthless henchman connected with a number of gangland murders, was also killed in a revenge attack in the car park of the Royal Oak in Finglas in October 1997.

But hardened criminals with long records were not the only ones to fall foul of rivals or former friends. Small time ecstasy dealers, Darren Casey (20) from Kilmainham and Patrick Murray, (19) from Ballyfermot, were found shot and dumped in the Grand Canal in New Year 2000. The two are believed to have fallen foul of major criminals after they were arrested with half a kilo of heroin at Dublin airport.

Most Watched