| 15.7°C Dublin

Village will come to a standstill for the funeral of woman killed in gas tragedy

A LIMERICK village will come to a standstill today for the funeral of a young bank official who died in a carbon-monoxide tragedy in a popular hotel.

Miriam Reidy, 35, will be buried after mass in Ballyhahill in west Limerick.

Ms Reidy, of Lisloose, Tralee, Co Kerry, died after a build-up of carbon monoxide gas in the Trident Hotel in Kinsale, Co Cork, last Sunday.

Her sister Patricia, 37, was found unconscious in the same bedroom but won her battle for life after spending 24 hours on a ventilator in Cork University Hospital.

Both women had been in Kinsale to celebrate the hen weekend of their friend and first cousin Marie Reidy, who is scheduled to get married next month.

It is now hoped that Patricia -- a Dublin-based bank official -- will be able to attend some portion of the funeral arrangements in the west Limerick village.

Hundreds of mourners paid their respects as the tight-knit community remained in shock at the scale of the tragedy.

Miriam's mass will be celebrated in the Church of the Visitation at 1pm today with the burial following it to Kilfergus Cemetery in Glin.

Garda and Health and Safety Authority investigations remain ongoing into the gas leak.

Seven other people were treated for the suspected effects of carbon-monoxide inhalation.

It has emerged that Miriam sought medical attention at 5am last Sunday after complaining of feeling ill.

At 4.30am, she had sent a text to a cousin who was also at the hen party on Saturday querying whether any others of the group had fallen ill.

However, after having seen a doctor, Miriam went back to bed and was discovered dead some seven hours later.

The Trident Hotel will remain closed until all safety inspections are concluded. The hotel's boiler room is beneath and behind the room occupied by the Reidy sisters.

Two other guests taken to hospital last Saturday were in a room directly over that of the sisters.

Sunday Independent