Video: Dublin firefighters tackle blaze at derelict house
Firefighters who tackled a blaze at a derelict house in Dublin city centre have revealed that nobody was inside the building
There had been fears that someone may have been sleeping rough inside the building on Preston Street.
The alarm was raised at around 5.15pm when smoke was seen streaming from the three storey terraced house on Preston Street, off Amien Street, in Dublin 1.
A plume of thick black smoke could be seen coming from the top floor as the fire quickly spread through the abandoned building.
Several crews were at the scene with the fire having started on the ground floor.
A large number of onlookers stopped on the street and watched the fire service fight the blaze.
Firefighters at the scene said they were forced to use a specialist generator to get the pump working due to the recent shortage of water in the Dublin region.
They tackled the flames before staying on-site to clear the building and to ensure it would not be in danger of re-igniting.
Motorists were diverted away from the area and, given its proximity to Connolly Station, DART services were curtailed for a time.
“Trains are running but platforms six and seven at Connolly are closed because they’re quite close to that building,” Barry Kenny of Irish Rail told the Irish Independent.
“All DART and commuter trains, northbound and southbound, are going through platform five. There are delays of between fifteen and twenty minutes.”
Independent.ie was at the scene this evening where some concern was expressed over the water required to quenched the flames.
“The firefighters are under a bit of pressure for water, particularly with the restrictions on water across Dublin,” said a Garda spokesperson at the scene.
A businessman who works locally and parks his car in Preston Street every day speculated as to what may have caused the fire.
“I see junkies shooting up there every morning. They squat in some of the buildings on this street,” he said.
“I’m sure it was not malicious but they may have started a fire to keep warm that got out of hand.”
A man claiming to reside in one of the houses beside these disused buildings said that he has made several complaints about squatting drug addicts to the Gardai.
“This is the third time a fire like this has happened on this street in recent years,” he said.
By Louise Kelly and Mark O'Regan