Sunday 15 December 2019

Video: Critically ill teen shot in head knew gunman

Luke Wilson: shot in the head
Luke Wilson: shot in the head

Tom Brady Security Editor

A TEENAGER, who is critically ill in hospital after being shot in a city park, knew the gunman who tried to kill him.

Surgeons now believe that 18-year-old Luke Wilson will survive the attack following surgery at St James's Hospital, Dublin.

He remained in a critical but stable condition last night but was said to have made progress. But he sustained a number of serious injuries, particularly to an eye, after being shot in the head and neck.

He is thought to have deflected one of the shots by putting his arm over his face when he saw the gunman running towards him and the bullet appears to have struck his elbow before hitting him in the face.

The attack took place as the teenager walked through the War Memorial Park in Inchicore, Dublin, on Sunday afternoon around 3pm.

Gardai continued searches for the handgun used in the shooting yesterday and focused on a section of the park around a footbridge close to the Liffey Gaels GAA club.

More houses were also raided in the Ballyfermot area of Dublin in the hunt for the weapon.

Gardai think the shooting may be linked to an incident outside a premises in west Dublin in the past 10 days in which Mr Wilson clashed with another teenager, who was known to him. The other youth was thought to have been the loser in that confrontation, which was not reported to gardai at the time.

Shortly after the shooting, gardai searched houses in Ballyfermot and detained a 19-year-old, who is a mutual friend of the two involved in the confrontation.

He was being quizzed by detectives at Kilmainham garda station last night under Section 30 of the Offences Against the State Act, which allows gardai to hold him without charge for up to three days.

Investigators hope to interview Mr Wilson when he improves. They have asked anybody who can help their inquiries to contact Kilmainham station on 01 6669700.

The injured teen, who lived with his grandmother at Cremona Road in Ballyfermot, is a nephew of John Wilson, who was shot dead at his home last September.

Two other uncles, Eric and Keith, are serving lengthy jail sentences. Keith is serving a life sentence here for murder, while Eric is behind bars in Spain after he was convicted of killing another man.

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News