Wednesday 17 January 2018

Victim told alleged killer he was ‘good boy’ before attack

killer Recip
Alleged killer Recip Cetin pictured with Shannon Graham
Shannon Graham with her father Raymond McGuinness yesterday outside the apartment she had been staying in with mother Marion in Kusadasi, Turkey
Marion Graham
Kathy Dinsmore

Deborah McAleese in Izmir

ONE of the last people to see Marion Graham and Kathy Dinsmore alive has said Ms Graham placed a hand on her alleged killer's shoulder and said, "he's a good boy".

Taxi-firm owner Moustafa Karatay arranged a trip to the Turkish city of Izmir from the resort of Kusadasi for the two women and teenage murder suspect Recip Cetin (17).

And Mr Karatay said yesterday Ms Graham had been affectionate towards Mr Cetin, who was dating her daughter Shannon (15).

Mr Karatay was initially arrested on suspicion of assisting in the murders but later released without charge. He had been asked by Mr Cetin to take the two women to Izmir for a short trip on Thursday morning.

“When they came out I remember I shook (Marion Graham's) hand and asked them where they were going and he told me Izmir. They were all smiling,” he said.

Mr Karatay said that he had been working all night and was too tired to drive to the city so he arranged for one of his drivers to take them in his car.

“As he (Mr Cetin) was getting into the front she (Ms Graham) put her hand on his shoulder and said ‘he's a good boy’,” he said.

“She would say things like that about him. The two women then got into the back. “There was nothing about them that made me think something was wrong. My driver also said that when they were in the car for the drive there was no argument or problem.”

The driver dropped the group off outside a market, owned by Mr Cetin's father, in Izmir at around 1pm.

“I feel sad and ashamed by what happened. I was not involved in this but I feel guilty because it was my car that took them to where they were killed,” he said.

Shortly before 6 that evening, Mr Karatay said he received another call from Mr Cetin asking for a lift to the hospital. “He called and said he had hurt his hand with a knife and said he had to go to the hospital.

“When I arrived there was a lot of people at the front of the house. I went into the house and Shannon and the boy were there. Shannon tried to put a bandage on his hand,” he said.

“I asked what had happened. He said, ‘nothing. I cut my hand'. “I asked Shannon what happened and she told me, ‘my mum is lost'. There were police there and they asked him what happened and he said a car came to kidnap his ‘mother-in-law’ (Marion) and they stabbed him and then went away.”

A police officer told Mr Karatay he could take Mr Cetin and Shannon to the hospital. He said they did not talk much in the car, but that Shannon kept telling Mr Cetin he would be okay when he complained about the pain in his hand.

“At about 8.05pm a policeman phoned me from the boy's phone and asked who I was, what was my job and if I knew the boy.

“He asked me if I had taken him anywhere today and I said the hospital. “He asked me if I had taken him anywhere before the hospital and I said no.

He then told me to come to the police station,” added Mr Karatay.

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News