Victim (26) nearly lost eye in 'barbaric' attack
Private school students quizzed over stabbing
A young man almost lost his eye in an attack which has been described as "barbaric".
The 26-year-old victim of the stabbing in Dalkey, south Dublin, is recovering following the incident on Christmas Eve.
The attack happened shortly before midnight close to Dalkey village when a row broke out over a teenage girl.
The victim, who is from the Glenageary area of the capital, suffered huge blood loss and was lucky not to lose the sight in his eye when he was stabbed in the face with a Swiss Army knife.
Three students from a prestigious south Dublin school have now been interviewed by gardaí.
His suspected attacker, a 17-year-old boy from Killiney, was arrested on Tuesday and questioned at Shankill Garda Station before being released without charge.
A file is now being prepared for the DPP.
Sources said the suspect was a student at one of the country's best-known private secondary schools, which charges substantial annual fees.
Two other 17-year-old boys, who are believed to attend the same school, have also been questioned by gardaí but neither was arrested.
These two boys, who have addresses in Dalkey and Glasthule, are understood to have voluntarily presented themselves for questioning at Dún Laoghaire Garda Station hours after the attack took place. They are not considered suspects.
It is understood that the incident happened in The Metals area, near Dalkey Quarry, after an argument started outside a pub on Dalkey's Main Street.
It has been alleged that the private school students followed the victim after remarks were made to a girl in their company.
It is understood that at least three of them confronted the victim and demanded he apologise. It is alleged that a 17-year-old produced a Swiss Army knife and stabbed the man in the face.
Gardaí were unable to confirm reports that the stabbing had been recorded on a mobile phone.
"It seems that he [the culprit] used the knife in a punching motion and the knife just missed the victim's eye by a fraction," a source said.
"The knife was then dragged along the injured man's face, all the way to his neck.
"He suffered huge blood loss and terrible injuries to his face. This was a barbaric incident."
Emergency services were called and the man was rushed to St Vincent's Hospital. He has since been discharged.
At one stage it is believed that medics feared his injuries were critical.
It is understood the Dart line in the area was sealed off for a time as gardaí carried out a detailed forensic examination in and around the attack scene.
Meanwhile, a man was rushed to hospital after suffering serious hand injuries in a sustained attack on Wednesday evening.
The victim, who is in his 20s, was set upon and assaulted in Mill Lane, Clondalkin, west Dublin, at around 5pm.
It is believed that the man was attacked with a weapon, possibly a hatchet.
Gardaí believe that at one point he attempted to protect his face but was struck in the hands with the weapon. He also suffered head injuries.
Emergency services were called to the scene and the man was transported to Tallaght Hospital by ambulance. Gardaí arrived after the victim was taken to hospital.
No arrests have been made and gardaí in Clondalkin are investigating the incident.