Tuesday 20 February 2018

Veteran gangster survives botched assassination bid outside his home

Edel Kennedy

A VETERAN gangster denies he was targeted by a gunman who tried to shoot him in the head.

The attempted murder failed when the would-be assassin's gun jammed and he fled the scene on foot.

The lone gunman was subsequently chased by his intended target but he managed to flee the scene.

Gardai are now investigating the incident, which occurred on Furry Park Road, Killester, on Dublin's northside at around 10.30am on Saturday.

The 63-year-old target was a former mentor to crime boss Eamonn Dunne, who was murdered earlier this year.

However, he is denying there was any attempt on his life at the weekend.

The intended target left his red-brick house mid-morning and the gunman, who had been lying in wait in bushes opposite the house, jumped out as the man walked outside. It is believed the would-be killer had kept his intended victim under surveillance for some time and was unmasked when he confronted him.

The gunman pointed the weapon at the man and tried a number of times to pull the trigger. However, his assassination attempt failed when his gun jammed each time.

The gunman fled on foot and it is understood the intended victim chased him in the direction of the Howth Road.


However, he failed to catch him, and when he returned home he denied to gardai that any such incident had occurred.

The authorities had been contacted by neighbours who are aware of the reputation of the 63-year-old.

The man had previously been warned that his life was in danger. However, he dismissed that warning. Gardai have since carried out a technical examination to the scene and are seeking witnesses. The man's wife is believed to have been in their home at the time of the incident.

"Gardai are appealing for information regarding a male who was seen leaving the area on foot in the direction of Howth Road at the time of the incident," a garda spokesman said.

"He is described as 5ft 11in in height, of heavy build, and was wearing navy tracksuit bottoms and a navy hooded top."

They are also following a number of lines of inquiry in terms of who ordered the hit.

In May 1993, the gang figure became one of the first people in the country to be jailed for bringing a cocaine shipment into Ireland. He was sentenced to 14 years after he was caught with almost 1kg of the drug worth an estimated IR£500,000.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Raheny garda station on 01 6664300 or the Garda Confidential Line on 1800 666 111.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News