Friday 16 November 2018

Van gets 'no encore' for hardcore in driveway row with neighbours

ROCK star Van Morrison was ordered by a judge yesterday to down tools in work being carried out on a driveway at his Dalkey property.

The temporary High Court injunction was granted to Alphonsus and Claudia O'Mara, of Monte Alverno, Sorrento Road, by Mr Justice Lavan.

The case is to come before the court again next Wednesday.

Mr O'Mara claimed Morrison was the owner and occupier of "Kilross" at Sorrento Road which formed part of retained lands and was bound by a deed of conveyance prohibiting any development.

He said that Mr Morrison's architect had written last October 24 concerning proposals for the private driveway which connects all the properties on the estate with Sorrento Road.

About 60 feet of this driveway was on Mr O'Mara's land and the remaining portion belonged to Mr Edward Irvine, Mr Conor Kavanagh and Mr Morrison.

Mr O'Mara claimed work had been undertaken on behalf of Morrison to widen the right of way, remove an earth bank and to fell a number of trees.

Mr Morrison's architect had informed Mr O'Mara's architect that the singer accepted that planning permission would be required for certain works.

Mr Morrison's architect had also stated his client would not be proceeding with the works pending the receipt of planning permission but wished to continue to lay the hardcore on the portion of the driveway which had already been dug up.

But Mr O'Mara said he was not satisfied with the assurance.

His solicitor has requested, but had not received, a specific written undertaking that no further works would proceed.

He regretted he "had limited faith in verbal assurance".

In fact, said Mr O'Mara, a JCB had been working on Morrison's lands yesterday.

Mr O'Mara claimed that if the work on the singer's driveway was allowed to continue it would irretrievably alter the character of the area.

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News