Tycoon launches new bid for Doonbeg sea wall
US president-elect Donald Trump has sought permission for a scaled-down sea wall to protect his luxury Co Clare resort.
A planning application in the name of TIGL Ireland Enterprises has been lodged with Clare County Council seeking to build defences in two sections, totalling almost 1km.
Permission had previously been sought for a 2.8km wall at the Doonbeg resort, but it was withdrawn earlier this month.
It would have been about 4.5-metre high and was expected to lead to a planning row amid concerns it would have impacted on the natural development of the dune system.
Trump Hotels has previously said that up to 20 metres of dune face at the edge of the golf course has been eroded since 2002, and its plans aim to install sea defences to protect the first, ninth and 18th holes. It said there would be "no material effect" on the adjacent Special Area of Conservation, and that expansion of the resort was "fundamentally dependent" on protection measures.
Documents lodged with the council yesterday state the proposed development will consist of "coastal erosion management works" at and beside Carrowmore Dunes, White Strand, Doughmore Bay and Trump International Golf Links and Hotel at Doonbeg.
Two new protection structures are proposed - the first involves using sheet metal and rock armour for 609 metres at one end of the dune system, with a second of 256 metres at the other end, beside the golf hotel.
It says the final structure will be "screened from view", and permission is also sought for a construction compound and public car park.
Ongoing access to the beach will be maintained. Submissions are invited until February 3, and a decision is expected by February 24.