Wednesday 18 September 2019

Two suspects identified in hunt for killers of man involved in 'very violent ' pub death

Superintendent Ian Lackey. Picture: Aoife Moore/PA
Superintendent Ian Lackey. Picture: Aoife Moore/PA

Allison Bray

Two murder suspects are being investigated over the killing of a 34-year-old man following a pub row, it has emerged.

Gardaí say they believe at least two people were involved in the "very violent" death of father-of-two Vincent Parsons.

It is understood officers have identified two suspects in the case and have already taken a cautionary statement from one of the individuals.

No arrests have yet been made.

Mr Parsons was found with severe head injuries after a violent attack in Tallaght, Dublin, last Saturday night.

He was taken to the nearby hospital, where he died on Monday evening.

Violent attack: Vincent Parsons died in hospital on Monday after being assaulted on Saturday
Violent attack: Vincent Parsons died in hospital on Monday after being assaulted on Saturday

Investigating gardaí say they are following a definite line of inquiry into the murder and believe Mr Parsons was attacked after an argument earlier in a pub.

Speaking to reporters outside Tallaght garda station yesterday afternoon, Chief Supt Ian Lackey said Mr Parsons, a welder from Clondalkin, was the victim of a horrific attack following an altercation at a pub in Tallaght.

His injuries were so severe that Garda officers called to the scene took him to hospital themselves, instead of waiting for an ambulance, Supt Lackey said.

Detectives are still awaiting the results of a post-mortem examination, however it is clear that he suffered severe head injuries, he added.

"The initial findings indicate he met with a very violent death," Supt Lackey said.


"A lot of people have come forward to date," he said of the witnesses interviewed so far.

"There is no indication of weapons being used. We believe at least two people were involved."

More than 50 gardaí were now involved in the investigation, the senior officer said.

A number of witnesses have already come forward, but gardaí are particularly keen to speak to motorists, taxi drivers or anyone else who was in the vicinity of the Killinarden Inn pub between 10pm and 11pm on Saturday, Supt Lackey added.

Local gardaí in Tallaght are also continuing to appeal for anyone with information or who may have witnessed the assault on Mr Parsons to contact them.

He was unconscious and covered in blood when he was found by a passing member of the public, who alerted emergency services.

Mr Parsons was discovered about 11pm in the Killinarden estate.

Gardaí have also carried out searches of a park close the scene of where Mr Parson's was discovered as part of their investigation.

The attack on Mr Parsons was one of two violent incidents which happened in Tallaght over the weekend.

On Sunday afternoon, a 33-year-old man was found with serious head injuries in the Cloonmore Green area.

He was brought to Tallaght University Hospital with a suspected bleed to the brain and a punctured lung.

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News