News Irish News

Saturday 17 March 2018

Two stabbing deaths in capital

Garda outside a house on Ormond Square in Dublin, where a man was found stabbed to death
Garda outside a house on Ormond Square in Dublin, where a man was found stabbed to death

Two men have been stabbed to death in separate knife attacks in the capital in less than 24 hours.

James Humphries, 32, died when he was knifed several times in the stomach during a row at a house in Tallaght, south Dublin, last night.

And the body of a 51-year-old man was discovered with several stab wounds in his city centre home this afternoon.

Gardai said a friend made the grim discovery at the terraced house in Ormand Square in Smithfield.

Forensic officers examined the scene in the quiet settled housing development, which overlooks a children's play area, as de tectives try to establish a motive for the stabbing.

The victim is not believed to have any previous convictions .

Elsewhere gardai are questioning a man over the murder of Mr Humphries, who had been socialising with friends after watching the All Ireland football final.

His heartbroken aunt Teresa Knowles fought back tears as she paid tribute to her nephew as family members left flowers at the scene on Kiltalown Way.

"He was brilliant, he wouldn't harm anybody," she said.

A Garda source said he suffered multiple stab wounds in the abdominal area when a drunk-fuelled row broke out.

He stumbled out of the house in to the garden where paramedics had fought to save his life.

He was rushed to Tallaght Hospital where he was pronounced dead at about 7pm.

M s Knowles said relations have no idea what happened to the single man, who had a 12-year-old child.

"We're just listening to the stuff going on in the news saying that it was over a row, but nobody knows," she told RTE radio.

"He wouldn't hurt a fly.

" He had a 12-year-old but he was single, he wasn't with the girlfriend."

Mr Humphries lived with his aunt Ann Hawkswood in the Glenshane area of Tallaght.

His mother and three brothers are believed to have travelled back from Birmingham after they heard the tragic news.

A suspect arre sted by detectives remains in custody while gardai interview three others in the property at the time.

The man, who is also aged in his 30s, can be questioned for up to 24 hours at Tallaght Garda Station.

Press Association

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News