Thursday 18 January 2018

Two lives lost in separate drowning incidents

Majella O'Sullivan and David Raleigh

TWO lives were lost in separate drowning incidents as the heatwave continued to grip the country.

A teenager and a young woman all lost their lives on a day of tragedy.

Lisa Knight (21) from Caherhayes, Abbeyfeale, Co Limerick died early this morning in the Feale River in Co Limerick.

Meanwhile in Celbridge, Co Kildare, a young teenage boy was pulled from the water by his friends after he got into difficulties.

A group of seven friends were swimming in a river at the Castletown Estate in Celbridge when Abayomi Adefabi  (17), from Springfield Drive in Celbridge, was spotted in trouble.

The deaths immediately sparked warnings about the dangers of swimming and lakes and rivers during the hot weather.

Ms Knight in an area known locally as Powerhouse, where she had gone swimming with her boyfriend and another male friend.

The alarm was raised shortly before midnight and by the time 37 volunteers from the local Abbeyfeale District Search and Rescue arrived at the scene, the gardai from Newcastle West and a unit of the fire brigade were already there.

The youngest in a family of three, Ms Knight was originally from the UK but had moved to Ireland with her parents.

Her distraught parents were at the riverbank as the search and recovery operation continued.

When her body was taken from the water, rescuers frantically administered CPR in a desperate but futile effort to save her life.

She was later taken to the Midwestern Regional Hospital in Limerick where she was formally pronounced dead.

Meanwhile in Celbridge a group were swimming at a popular swimming and fishing spot, where a lifebuoy was at the scene. The group descended a slight incline to access the river.

Abayomi's friends told the emergency services that he had not been in the water long when he got into difficulty.

His friends pulled him from the water at around 4pm, called for emergency services and began CPR on him.

The Fire Brigade and Ambulance crew began using a defibrillator on him at the scene. He was rushed to Blanchardstown Hospital where he was pronounced dead at around 5pm.

Online Editors

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News