Sunday 27 May 2018

Two Irish abroad die in separate accidents in space of just 24 hours

Alan Lucid died during a trip to the Netherlands
Alan Lucid died during a trip to the Netherlands

Robin Schiller and Kathy Armstrong

Two Irish people have died in separate tragedies abroad in the space of just 24 hours.

In the early hours of Thursday, Kerry native Alan Lucid drowned off the coast of the Netherlands after getting into difficulty while swimming.

Mr Lucid (28), a PhD student at University College Cork, was working as a researcher in Cereal and Beverage Science and had been in Egmond aan Zee in the Netherlands this week to attend the International Symposium on Lactic Acid Bacteria, which finished on Thursday.

He is originally from Knockane in Ballyheigue.

His cousin John Lucid said: "This is a tragedy, it's an absolutely devastating loss for his parents, brothers, sisters and girlfriend.

"His parents are absolutely destroyed, there's no other way to describe it. You'd never expect to hear news like this."


Less than 24 hours earlier on Wednesday morning, an Irish woman passed away after falling 200 metres from a walkway in the Austrian Alps.

The 65-year-old was travelling with an English companion and a German tour group when the tragedy occurred.

It is understood that the woman is an Irish citizen who has been based in the UK for several years.

Her body has not yet been released as Austrian authorities are attempting to track down her relatives and inform them of the tragedy.

The incident happened in the Austrian section of the mountain range, on the Stubaier Hohenweg route in Gschnitz, around 40km outside the city of Innsbruck.

It is also located close to the Italian border.

A spokesman for the Tyrol state police department confirmed that the accident happened around 10.35am local time on Wednesday.

"As her English companion was travelling at a faster pace, the Irishwoman joined a five-person German group, and she accompanied this group at a distance," the spokesman said.

Police are investigating the circumstances surrounding the tragedy and have not yet identified a cause for the fall.

However, it is being treated as a tragic accident.

The woman fell over a marked sidewalk onto a rocky grassland below, according to local police. Emergency services were called and a police helicopter rushed to the scene.

However, she was pronounced dead a short time later and her remains were transported from the scene.

Her English companion and the German tour group also boarded a helicopter after declining to continue their hike.

It is understood that the Department of Foreign Affairs is aware of the death and is providing consular assistance.

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News